Friday, June 21, 2013

THE BIGGER PICTURE: Nature’s Lessons


I woke up with a start. I groaned as I realized NEPA had done exactly what they do best… Slicks of sweat  were already running down my body. I reached for my phone… It was exactly 5am. I got up to open the  windows, then I turned over and shut my eyes tight; willing myself to sleep. But it wouldn’t come. Great, I thought. Just when I need all the sleep I can get. Just as I was still cursing NEPA for interrupting my sleep; the musky smell of dust and moisture filled my nostrils. Enjoying it, I anticipated the rain I knew would soon hit fast. The gentle breeze hitting me was welcoming and relaxing. All previous thoughts of sleep eluded me as I prepared to make the best of the early-morning rain.  There’s nothing like it, I thought.  The beauty of the whole package; the smell of damp earth, the cool breeze, the raindrops making music – sheer beauty of nature. Then, I heard the pitter-patter of the first raindrops hitting the soil outside. Here goes… For thirty minutes I lay awake just enjoying the rain. It helped soothe my troubled thoughts. The rain is proof that all my problems can be washed away. No matter what I’m going through, the simplest things of life are there to give me hope and remind me that I should be thankful and also appreciate the free gifts of life. As I was still putting my thoughts in perspective, I noticed that day was starting to break. The minuscule rays of sunshine were making colorful bursts in the sky. A cock crowed nearby. God, I sighed.
What can be more beautiful than the morning? I knew He was talking to me; trying to send me a clear message. Where there is life, there is hope. The simplicity of nature shows that there is a God out there who is bigger than all my problems.
Mercedes Alfa

No comments:

Post a Comment